itsu is the Asian-inspired quick service & grocery brand with a compelling vision and global opportunity.
Founded in 1997, itsu is the result of 20 years of innovation across 70+ busy sites.
itsu [grocery] offers exciting and enticing high-quality Asian-inspired foods [online and in supermarkets] and has quickly become one of the leading brands in that specific group. Yet, it is still the beginning and the business has huge global ambitions.
We are committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive organisation. We encourage applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply for all of our opportunities.
When applying for a role with us, please remove your: Full Name, Name of University/School, Address, Email Address and any photos of you on your CV and Covering Letter. Non-Anonymised CVs may not be reviewed.
scope of the role
itsu [grocery] is looking for an ambitious and enthusiastic Food Technologist to join our Technical team. They will have the opportunity to work across a large range of innovative products, work with our suppliers in Asia and be involved in a variety of Technical projects to help drive our high standards and product quality. We are at an exciting growth stage and would love someone who can come on this journey with us and develop with the business.
- Responsible for the quality, safety, legality and authenticity of itsu [grocery] products and supplier performance.
- Responsible driving the awareness of a food safety culture and ensuring it is always considered during decision making.
- Support the Technical team in maintaining AA Grade certification against the BRC Agents & Brokers standard.
- Work with the Category Technical Manager and Senior Technologist to approve and onboard new suppliers, and drive an improvement in supplier performance through supplier reviews and KPIs.
- Maintaining the supplier approval databases [QADEX and SEDEX] ensuring certificates and questionnaires are completed and up to date at all times.
- Conduct risk assessment on the product range to determine the frequency of testing. Supporting the Technical Executive with ongoing monitoring of product quality, safety and authenticity through routine surveillance testing (covering nutritionals, claim validation, micro, chemical and authenticity testing), shelf life evaluation and organoleptic testing. Interpret results, action and rectify any non-conformances with the supplier as a result of ongoing monitoring.
- Analyse and interpret trends in customer complaints and conduct investigations with suppliers (where necessary) to identify the root cause and put corrective and preventative actions in place.
- Adhere to the NPD launch process and work with the NPD team to launch new and improved products on time.
- Completing and maintaining product specifications across the itsu [grocery] portfolio ensuring signed off products are safe, legal and all product quality attributes are captured.
- Reviewing and approving legal labelling for new and existing products.
- Attend production trials and first productions.
the ideal candidate
- Have at least two years experience working in a food technical role across retail or manufacturing
- Good knowledge of food manufacturing and legal labelling.
- We are looking for someone who would thrive in a fast-paced environment, isn't afraid of a challenge and will get stuck into the role.
- Degree in food science or similar
- A love for food (and Asian food) is preferable and always makes the job even more enjoyable!
perks and benefits
- Competitive salary
- Competitive bonus scheme
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays (two bank holidays are interchangeable for other religious holidays)
- Health insurance
- Company pension scheme
- Hybrid working (2 days wfh)
- Opportunity to work from home abroad
- 50% employee discount in itsu shops
- Free itsu lunch
- Discounts at major retailers